Skip to main content

what if....

What if Carmen had done her CT scan in December/ January instead of February? What if she had had surgery then instead of doing a trial chemo treatment? What if she had done these things and was still alive because of it? (then I would not be here in her home town saying good bye to her again)

I hate these what ifs. I hate that they spin around in my head at these times, when there is nothing left that I can do about it. I guess I feel partially responsible for everything that happened. What if I hadn't been so worried about traveling around the world this past winter, that I had been able to help convince my mother to go do her CT scan earlier? What if I had been around when she made the decision to start the trial chemo treatment? What if I hadn't spent that last few months of my mother's life thousands of miles away from her? What if I had spent more time with her all these years? What if I hadn't taken her for granted? What if we hadn't assumed that it was the same old story-- tumors, trial chemo, surgery, recovery? What if this hadn't happened as fast as it did?

I know these are silly questions, and there is no use for them, but I can not help but feel this way. I wish there had been something I could have done. Something to have saved her, something to change the past and her death, to take it all back and have her here again. When we found out about her metastasis, I know these what-ifs ran through my mother's head, and I tried to encourage her to look positively towards the future, since there is nothing we could do about the past. Saying those words to her then was seemingly easy, but now, trying to look positively towards the future seems nearly impossible, probably as impossible as it did for my mother when she received the bad news.

My future is still bright, I still have great hopes and aspirations to achieve my dreams and live up to my mother's claims of being her "eSTAR", but its not the same without her to being here to see it all happen--well that's not true, because I know she will always be around, but at least without being able to see her big proud smile or hear her words of encouragement (yjoou cahn doo iht!) along the way. I always expected her to be around for all the important moments in my life, and it's hard to believe that she won't.     It's hard without her around, without her wisdom, support or love. My mother loved me more than I will ever know, and I just wish I could have loved her back more.

It's hard to not dwell on the past, the what-ifs and missed opportunities. It's hard not to still feel sad about this all, when it is all still so fresh and raw. I try to remember all the goods times that we had, but at the same time it makes me sad that there aren't any more to come. When does the past stop being so painfully sad and the present/future so much brighter and filled with wonderful memories of my mother's love? Soon I hope, though not soon enough.

Tomorrow is Carmen's ceremony here in Spain with all of my family--I have a feeling this is going to be a lot harder than last time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carmen Mateo

My mother was first diagnosed with retroperitoneal liposarcoma in October of 2005. I had come home to see her in the hospital—during the removal of a cyst on her breast the doctors accidentally punctured her lung. It was during her stay at the hospital that they completed an MRI of her core (to verify the lung’s status) and found a large mysterious mass—a tumor. Though frightened by this news she was thankful for the discovery. Weeks went by as my parents spoke with other doctors and centers trying to figure out what this tumor was and what to do. Eventually she was diagnosed—liposarcoma, a rare type of cancerous tumor that manifests itself as a mass of fat. The irony of it—my mother the skinniest petite woman in the world, had a fat tumor. Right before Thanksgiving she went   to Sloan Kettering to have surgery to remove the almost 8lb tumor. Being the strong woman that she is, she recovered quickly from the surgery and began her healing journey. It was years before

Nature's course

Tuesday August 9, 2011 Daniel, Tom and I spent most of the day cleaning the house up and waiting for Carmen's hospice gear to arrive. Late that night she came home in an ambulance from Hopkins. She was extremely tired, but still mentally there and able to talk though it was through quite whispers.  We set her up in the living room so that she could be in the midst of all the action downstairs. She had made the brave decision to enjoy the rest of her time here at home with her family. Though she was in pain, she was happy to finally be resting at home. Jose slept beside her on the sofa, attending to her throughout the night. I was surprised that her condition had deteriorated since we last saw her on Sunday night-- that night she had walked around, sat at upright at a table to have dinner, fed herself easily, willingly ate, and was a bit chatty, but not extremely chatty for Carmen standards. By Tuesday night, it seemed her ability to move was limited, and she was subdued by the pa

recovery day

Today Carmen spent most of the day laying in bed. She was still tired from yesterday and the procedure. Her fluid retention is slowly dissipating, but of course it takes time. She had put on almost 10 pounds of weight during this, so you can only imagine. Her liver and kidney enzymes are stable, which is good news as always. Her potassium levels were a bit high in the morning and a little less high in the afternoon, but still high enough to cause some concern preventing her from being released. Because she wanted to rest, we didn't stop by to see her today. Hopefully tomorrow we will know what is the deal with her potassium and maybe get released from the hospital. Fingers crossed!